Thursday, January 15, 2015

The CPS "Missed Signs" project

I haven't written in the ol' blog here in some time, and there has been LOTS going on. It all culminated this past week with the publication of Missed Signs, Fatal Consequences, an immersive story-telling, data-driven project by the Austin American-Statesman.

The project started with obtaining through public record requests abuse- and neglect-related child fatality reports from Child Protective Services. The documents, required since 2009, are only available as a PDF, and the content is not saved as data to be analyzed in any manner. Great law, but of little use if no one is using the reports.

Before I go any further, let it be known unto all the world that Andrew Chavez is the genius behind all the online development and design for this project, including that awesome data explorer. He's taken our online immersive template, rebuilt it with bionics and really made it sing. It's something we can build with and on into the future (including this weekend with another immersive project.)

The first thing we did (my contribution) was to create a Caspio database to collect certain fields from the 780 documents. Caspio is derided by many for good reason, but it is actually pretty good for this purpose ... to collect hand-entered information in a structured manner. (I would perform morally-suspect tasks for a JSON output direct from Caspio, though. Might even pay for it.) It would've been great if we could scrape the PDFs for our data, but the reporters were doing on-the-read analysis that couldn't be done programmatically. We also put all the documents in DocumentCloud to help with reporting (and for later use in our online data explorer and links within stories).

I made lots of changes to the forms as we went along, responding to requests and storylines found as the reporters read through the reports. We picked at it for a year, adding reports as they came out.

And then around summertime, the investigative team got serious. Stories were reported out by Andrea Ball and Eric Dexheimer, and they eventually went near full-time on the project. As stories gelled and sources were found, our visual folks Kelly West (video) and Laura Skelding (photography) started working their magic.

And Andrew. Wow. He created a template system that helped us wrangle all this mass of content (15 stories and about 100 images) into a clean, integrated, responsive, online masterpiece. I learned so much during this project just dabbling my little bit in the code ... I'm giddy with excitement about all the tech. Just love it.

What was that tech? Oh, gawd. Andrew should be listing all of it out, but I'll give it a go:
  • We used Node locally with all kinds of added helpers, starting with Bootstrap as framework. Handlebars for templates. Leaflet for maps.
  • Highcharts and underscore for visualizations in the story. DC.js for the data explorer.
  • Backbone to bring out data across all page, like with the child pop-ups where we reveal basic data and point to source documents when a child is mentioned.
  • Lots of grunt, including grunt-generator to bake out all our files into flat files. The finished project is entirely self-contained html/images/javascript with no server-side processing. It could run anywhere.

  © Blogger template 'A Click Apart' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP